Monday, August 15, 2011

Task 4: Design Career

I want to become a Toy designer for children. Would like to work at a firm that specialise in children-related products and the idea of working at the Lego Company has appealed to me. I want to design toys that are (if possible) indiscriminate, worthwhile to have, safe and serve happiness to children and others around them.  I also wanted to design products that are socially-encouraged (social-orientated), something like the family members can also spend good time with their children/younger brother or sister while play.
 









Another interest I have is in humanitarian areas where I can place skills in designing things to help others. The idea of working in humanitarian has triggered my interest I think it’s because I grew up in a developing country and my exposure to humanitarian needs and the ceaseless reminder of the importance of human welfare.


I have searched online to see what are the requirements and qualifications to become a toy designer. The searching process had led me to Industrial Design at UNSW. To my current knowledge the degree is the highest qualification I can attain to become a designer. An opportunity I cannot forgo. I hope to learn, acquire skills and knowledge that can help me achieve goals in design.
In addition to learning about the elements of designing physical products, the degree also offers other subjects that I have interest in, such as commercial marketing; human behaviour and psychology with design product; people and design interactions within different environment.

I do not know what the future will be like for me in design. It is still quite early for me to be sure about my future. This is only my second semester, and the learning curve in this degree is exponential. Things that designer should know and understand is all very new to me, because I have no previous experience with studies of design and technology (previously have been more on the studies of biology and economics). But I think after learning and understanding from this design course I will always feel responsible in designing products for people with important consideration of their welfare with the use of the product and designing eco-friendly items.

No comments: